HomeHealthWonder of Banana Leaf. – Avoid plastic plates-cups-containers-covers
March 20, 2013
Wonder of Banana Leaf. – Avoid plastic plates-cups-containers-covers
People think using plastic plates/cups/ containers/ covers etc for food is the MODERN way of living. They are ready to spend a lot of money on these disposables. Where are these disposed? In the dust bin and they end up in a heap in some corner of the city and will stay there for the next 10000 years without any degradation. In picnic places and marriage (reception!) houses the effect of this craze is seen in the backyards. There are now no landfills to throw them in many cities.
Now our humble banana leaf (while in South India):
1. Low cost compared to other ‘disposable plastics.
2. Healthy to eat from as per Ayurveda
3. Clean and cleanable with sprinkling of water
4. As per our Acharas
5. It is itself food for cows and cattle after use by humans.
6. Will decay and disappear within a few days- becomes good organic fertiliser.
7. With one full leaf at least 3 to 7 persons can eat depending on the size and type of food.
8. Can always be regrown- endless supply.
9. Can be shaped as a cup- donnai for payasam etc.
10. Can be cut into any size as per requirements.
11. No need to use detergents to clean as it is simply thrown away.
12. Saves Water for washing and cleaning.
13. Helping poor farmers.
14. Daily eating on the floor with banana leaf avoids getting knee pains later in our life.